Monday, March 16, 2009

Thing #10: Learning About RSS Feeds

Well, it's my usual blogging time of 11:30 PM with my coffee in hand....

I REALLY enjoyed learning about RSS feeds. Not to complain, but like many people's lives, 48 hours in a day would still be full and busy in my world! I just don't have time to sit at the computer and "surf" to get the information that I know is out there regularly. I really like the idea of subscribing to my favorite sites and having the information come to me.

I created my account with Google Reader. I already had a Google account, so it was really easy. Also, I liked the fact that it worked so well with Blogger. Google Reader automatically pulled in the class blogs that I am following for Thing #4 as my first subscriptions. It also made sharing my favorites very simple. With one mouse click, I was able to add my shared favorites to my blog. Check it out in the top left corner. So, yes, I was up to the sharing challenge! In addition to the class subscriptions, I personally subscribed to The Leaf Chronicle, The Tennessean, Cool Cat Teacher, The National Science Teacher's Association and Dangerously Irrelevant. I definitely wanted some education blogs to view, but am also extremely news deprived due to my hectic schedule. Hopefully, this will get me up to date!

There are so many uses for this technology. Not only is this technology very useful personally, but I can see where it could be used in the classroom as well. Linking classroom projects and topics to real world uses and applications is definitely the name of the game. With so much information out there, I believe students are looking to grasp what they will use in their future. By bringing these real world applications right to their desktop, they will immediately be exposed to education at work. What a great tool for teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment