Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thing #12: Google Is Not Just For Searching Anymore

I tried a Google Calendar and Google Docs for this activity. I was planning to try out Google Notebook, but found out that Google has decided not to further their activity on development of that tool, so they were not accepting new accounts. From what I could tell, Google Docs accomplishes most of what Notebook offered plus has some added features.

The one I liked best was Google Calendar. As I mentioned in an earlier post regarding a Web 2.0 tool called Backpack, I really like the idea of an on line, sharable calendar. I think I would like it the most if I had a PDA that would electronically link the two. I struggle with the logistics of having all appointments on one calendar that can be shared with others. I currently use a combination of paper planner and electronic reminders, but that there is much room for error with this double, triple or even quadruple entry system. I am definitely planning to research this technology further to simplify this area of my world!

The Google Docs tool was okay. Honestly, I don't think I would use it much now. I might try it for compiling online research. The part of it that offers word processing, presentations and spreadsheets, I would most likely never use because I am such a Microsoft Office fan. I don't see the benefit of using Google docs over Microsoft other than possibly collaboration. That, really is what I see as the largest benefit of Google Docs in total. I may find that I need that tool when I reach the classroom. I will definitely keep it in mind should the need arise.

My links to both follow:

Google Calendar: http://www.google.com/calendar/render?tab=oc

Google Docs: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd76772m_2gpgw6tcf

No comments:

Post a Comment