Monday, April 13, 2009

Thing #18: Explore Social Networking

I added a badge to this blog with my Facebook profile (see bottom left). I have been on Facebook for a couple of months, but only get on a couple of times a month. I guess that's not being too social on a social networking site! It just takes a time commitment that I can't really make right now. I do enjoy doing it from time to time to catch up on all my "social friends" though. I can see why it is important that educators know how social networking works because that is what students are doing now. This is the "hang out" area of our day. It is also another way to network with other teachers. I didn't really gain any new insights, but confirmed what I already knew about the sites. I like them both fine, but prefer Facebook primarily because that is where my friends are to be found. I can see where these could be used in the classroom to foster relationships and communications among teachers and students. I do think it should be used with caution and proper discernment, however. There are school system rules to be followed when it comes to after school socializing with students. There have been several articles in the local newspaper recently about Facebook contact between a SRO and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment